Turkey meatballs are a healthy and low-calorie alternative to traditional beef or pork meatballs. These tender and flavorful meatballs are made with ground turkey, making them an excellent choice for those looking for a healthier and more nutritious meal option. Not only are they quick and easy to make, but they can also be frozen for up to 3 weeks, making them an ideal option for meal prep or for when you need a quick and easy dinner.
When making turkey meatballs, it’s important to use good quality turkey for the best taste. Even better if you use freshly ground turkey, it will give the meatballs a more authentic taste.
So, if you’re looking for a healthy, low-calorie, and quick-to-make meal option, give turkey meatballs a try and experience the great taste and versatility they have to offer.
Storing and reheating
Oven: Preheat the oven to 170°C (340°F). Place the turkey meatballs on a baking sheet. Heat for 10-15 minutes.
Stovetop: Heat a pan over medium heat. Add a small amount of oil to the skillet and place the turkey meatballs in the skillet. Cook for 5-7 minutes, turning occasionally.
Microwave: Place the turkey meatballs in a microwave-safe dish. Heat on high for 1-2 minutes, or until they are heated through.
Shape the turkey meatball mixture into similar sized balls and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place them in the freezer.
Optionally: you can place them in the freezer for about an hour until the meatballs are frozen solidly. Then transfer the meatballs to a plastic freezer bag and seal it tight. Label the bag with the date and keep it in the freezer for up to 3 weeks.
When ready to cook frozen turkey meatballs, there’s no need to thaw them first. Simply add them to your recipe as directed, and cook for a few extra minutes (up to 10 min max).
Ground turkey meatballs recipe
🕐Prep Time: 30 min 🕐Cook Time: 40 min 🥄Serves: 4 portions
- 1kg turkey shoulder mince
- 50g of breadcrumbs
- 100ml of milk
- 0,5 tsp of salt
- 0,5 tsp of peppers
- 1 tsp of dry parsley
- 0,5 tsp of nutmeg
- 0,25 tsp of smoked paprika
- A bit of chili (optional)
- Begin by finely chopping onions and fry them in a pan until they turn a golden brown color.
- In a separate large bowl, add breadcrumbs and milk, allowing the mixture to sit for a few minutes to absorb the liquid. Next, season with spices, add in beaten eggs and the caramelized onions, and mix until well combined.
- Incorporate the ground turkey, using your hands to ensure everything is evenly distributed.
- Preheat your oven to 200°C and prepare a baking tray by lining it with two sheets of baking paper.
- Form the mixture into 2.5-3 cm meatballs. Place the meatballs in the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Flip them over and continue to cook for an additional 10 minutes to ensure they are cooked through.
Serve with potatoes (of mashed potatoes) and fresh cucumber.
Nutrition table of turkey meatballs recipe
|Amount per serving||100 g|
|Energy value||797 kJ|
|Saturated Fat||5 g|
Yes, ground chicken can be used as a substitute for ground turkey in turkey meatball recipes.
Use gluten-free breadcrumbs or gluten-free flour to bind the meatballs together.
Turkey meatballs should be cooked to an internal temperature of at least 74°C. You can use a meat thermometer to check the temperature or cut into one of the meatballs to check that the inside is no longer pink.