Homemade dark chocolate cupcakes are way better than boxed cake mixes. Made from scratch with everyday ingredients cupcakes have a rich chocolaty flavor. These cupcakes are easy to make and perfect for any occasion. Wondering how to cook moist cupcakes? Check out my blog about on how to make moist cupcakes.
If you are a homemade cupcake and a coffee lover, you must also check out my Coffee Cupcakes recipe.
What chocolate can be used for cupcakes?
To get the best result, use unsweetened cocoa and dark chocolate with at least 50% cocoa solids. High-quality chocolate will make a huge difference in the taste and texture of your cupcakes. You can use any brand of dark chocolate, but be sure to check the label for the percentage of cocoa solids.
Storing and Reheating
Storing: place cupcakes in an airtight container and keep them in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Reheating: cupcakes are delicious at room temperature, but if you want them warm, just microwave them for 30 seconds or 1 minute.
Freezing: wrap them in plastic wrap and place them in an airtight container. They will keep well in the freezer for up to a month.
Chocolate cupcakes recipe
🕐 Prep Time: 30 min 🕐 Cook Time: 15 min 🥄 Serves: 12 cupcakes
- 125g margarine/butter
- 60g brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp of cacao
- 25g dark melted chocolate (not less than 50% of cacao)
- 50g of chopped chocolate
- 150g flour
- Half teaspoon of baking powder
- ⅓ tsp of vanilla sugar
- In a bowl, mix butter with sugar until white and creamy.
- In a separate bowl, sift the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, vanilla, cocoa).
- Add one egg to the butter and sugar mixture, along with one tablespoon of the dry ingredients mixture. Whisk to combine. Then add a second egg and again one tablespoon of dry ingredients mixture, and whisk well. Add the rest of the dry ingredients and whisk well.
- Add melted chocolate and gently mix with a spatula several times. Add chopped chocolate and mix again.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Prepare a cupcake tray and line with paper cupcake forms.
- Fill the cupcake papers about three-quarters of the way up and put in the oven for 12-14 minutes. Check if the cupcakes are cooked with a toothpick. If not, put them in for another 5 minutes.
- Take the cupcakes out of the oven and let them cool down for a couple of minutes.
Nutrition table of dark chocolate cupcakes
|Amount per serving||100g|
|Energy value||1674 kj|
|Saturated Fat||10 g|