Learn to make smoked chicken soup, a warming dish perfect for cold days or when you’re feeling under the weather. It gives comfort and warmth. You may customize the recipe and make it work for any dinner or lunch by experimenting with different ingredients. Depending on your desire, this recipe can be made with homemade or store-bought chicken broth. Explore the recipe!
Customize your Smoked Chicken Soup by adding different ingredients. Other possible vegetables can be: celery, peas, sweet corn (canned or fresh baby corn) or broccoli. Also you can swap out potatoes for rice or noodles to vary the texture.
Chicken stock options
The stock of any recipe for chicken soup is an essential component. While it’s perfectly fine to use store-bought chicken stock, making your own stock can make your Smoked Chicken Soup taste even better. To make your homemade chicken stock, follow these simple steps:
- Start with chicken bones or even chicken drumsticks that include the meat.
- Place them in a large stockpot and cover them with cold water.
- Bring the pot to a boil, and once it’s boiling, lower the heat and let it simmer for about 10-12 hours.
- After the first hour, season the stock with salt, pepper, and a bay leaf to infuse rich flavors.
You may alternatively simmer it for a shorter amount of time—roughly 3 to 4 hours—if you’re in a hurry. Just be aware that the flavor of the stock might not be as strong.
Storing and reheating
Storing: store in an airtight container, for up to 3 days.
Reheating: pour the desired amount of soup into a pot. Heat it over a lower-than-medium flame for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it reaches your preferred serving temperature. Alternatively, you can microwave the soup for approximately 2 minutes.
Homemade Smoked Chicken Soup recipe
- 2 l chicken broth
- 4 smoked chicken thighs
- 1 medium carrot
- 2 medium sized potatoes
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 onion
- 1 tsp dry oregano
- 1 tsp dry drill
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 0.5 tsp peppers
- 0.5 tsp sea salt
- A bit of chili
- 2 bay leaves
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into 1 cm cubes. Remove the chicken from the bone and cut it into 1 cm cubes as well.
- Chop the onion into small pieces. Peel the carrot and chop it into small triangles.
- Heat the pot over high heat and add the butter. Allow the butter to melt, then add the chopped onion. Fry it for a couple of minutes, and then add the chopped carrots. Reduce the heat to medium and cook until the carrots become soft.
- Add the broth and let it come to a boil.
- Add the chicken, potatoes, and spices (oregano, dill, paprika, pepper, salt, and chili). Let it come to a boil, and then reduce the heat to low and cook for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, add a bay leaf, taste to check if there are enough spices for your liking, and continue to cook for an additional 5-7 minutes.
Nutrition table of smoked chicken soup
|Amount per serving